Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Homeowners can appreciate how damaging exposure to mold colonies can be, but few understand the severity of these conditions as they should. Though you should not stay exposed directly to active colonization in the house, there are some steps that you can take to help. Even with our central location that can allow us to reach Bay Ridge and Prospect Park within hours of the first notification of loss, immediate steps that you can take might be the difference between irreparable damage and salvageability of your personal belongings.
- Shut down your AC or furnace to prevent circulating active spores
- Attempt to seal off the damaged area as best as possible
- Shut off the water supply to leaking fixtures if they are to blame for the moisture damage
- Begin a visual inspection (using personal protective equipment)
- Move personal belongings out of the damaged area if safe to do so
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (718) 522-4400
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Northwest Brooklyn has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Sunset Park
- Borough Park
- Bay Ridge
- Park Slope
- Prospect Park
- Ditmas Park
- Windsor Terrace
- Brooklyn Heights
- Carroll Gardens
- Cobble Hill